Residence Permit Based on Medical Ground (122-G):
Submitting a residency application for a person with mental and physical health issues on behalf of an EU family member or a holder of Portuguese TR, PR, and nationality.
A person who is a family member of a national of the European Union OR who holds a Portuguese TR/PR/Portuguese Passport and suffers from mental and physical illness and requires long-term medical treatment is eligible to apply for Portuguese residency.
This information is available on the SEF website at https://imigrante.sef.pt/en/solicitar/especializados/art122-1-g/.
Residency eligibility extends to brothers and sisters, older sons and daughters, and other relatives who are at least 18 years old. A person seeking residency under this provision must first make an appointment with SEF and then come in person to provide relevant documentation; if the applicant is minor or disabled, a legal guardian may proceed based on SEF’s determination.
The SEF requires the following documentation:
- A valid copy of the passport (front and back)
- Travel documents
- Legal entry declaration into Portugal
- Two passport-sized photos with black background
- Last three month’s bank statement
- Adequate accommodation proof
- Police criminal record from home country
- Medical Certificate issued by a medical officer or an equivalent medical facility recognized by the Ministry of Health
- Additional relationship-declaration documents
Based on the legitimacy of the papers, the SEF directorate or regional delegate will make a final determination.